My Photography Journey

If you had asked me when I was young what I wanted to be when I grew up ... a photographer was never part of my list. It just sort of, kind of ...happened but then again everything in life happens for a reason. At least I believe that to be true.

I guess I should of known really; looking back in history my dad loved taking photos and so did my Grandfather. I now have a wonderful keepsake of old, antique cameras that captured years and years of memories.



For me ... it started almost 17 years ago when a friend asked me to hang out with her on her wedding day and take some candid photos. So I did .. from the 6am hair appointment to the last one walking out of the hall with the bride and groom at 2:00am! It was fun; so fun. Following the professional photographer everywhere he went and him taking the time to explain where and why he was
standing where he was. 

Fast forward a few years to 2004 when my son was born. That's the year I really started looking into and learning about the photography industry. I have always had a "creative side" in me but never had a path to express it on and then I found photography. I started learning more, taking courses and practicing on everything and everyone that would allow me to. Like this shot of my son when he was little.




Just like anything in life .. it's been a journey. I was SO sure I wanted my own studio but when I experienced that part of it I learnt that it's not who I am. I felt kind of trapped. It's not for everyone. I am more of an outdoor, natural light, go with the flow kind of girl.

My focus on what I want to capture has changed over the years. I went from shooting 15 weddings a year down to 5 and that's my comfort level right now. I love being outside, having fun and capturing the moments in between the "posed ones". I love my families that come back year after
year as I watch their children grow and change over the years. I love my wedding couples that trust me with their most cherished memories like this adorable couple from this summer. 


The photography industry is a VERY fast paced industry. The cameras, the drones, the equipment overall is changing constantly. Like this cool  Camera From Light . SO many neat things on the market right now. The options are endless and the opportunities are many! I think the best thing is to find what works for YOU.

For me personally; I choose to shoot what makes me happy, keep it simple and always allow my creative side to flow. After all .... it was the creative little girl in me that started this whole journey.